CHARITABLE SOLICITATION REQUESTS
Effective July 1, 2020, all storefront solicitation events with Schnucks will have new mandatory requirements for organizations. We encourage you to review this prior to completing a solicitation application so we can help you help others in a safe manner.
- Maximum of two volunteers will be allowed for all storefront events with social distancing standards in place and used in all instances
- All volunteers must be 18 years of age or older
- All volunteers are required to wear personal protective equipment (PPE) for the duration of their scheduled time. It is the responsibility of organization to provide their volunteers PPE which includes:
- Face Masks - must remain on and properly in place during scheduled time
- Gloves - must be used if handling anything that will be provided to or by customers (i.e. grocery lists, or collection of goods/money)
Schnucks believes one way that we can nourish our communities is to allow eligible nonprofit organizations to seek community support from our customers. Charitable solicitation events provide organizations in the community a larger platform for both raising awareness and sourcing contributions that will help with their cause. Likewise, charitable solicitations provide customers an opportunity to donate to local organizations to which they may feel a personal connection. We strive to maintain a balance between allowing solicitation events to help local organizations, while also making an effort to ensure that our customers feel comfortable shopping without feeling overwhelmed with asks for charitable contributions. For this reason, we allow each Schnucks store to host up to eight charitable solicitation events per year.
What does charitable solicitation at Schnucks look like?
Examples of charitable solicitation events could include Girl Scouts selling cookies, Salvation Army bell ringers collecting donations during the winter holiday season, a toiletry items drive where donated products will be provided to those at a homeless shelter, or a food drive where donations are supporting an organization that helps to feed children during the summer. Our solicitation application includes space for you to tell us more about your event.
Please be aware that:
- Our policy allows no more than three adults and three children to solicit at a time.
- The volunteers are permitted to be near only one entrance/exit and must not block the door.
- When an organization is approved to solicit, the solicitation may occur only during the following times: Monday-Friday from 4pm-8pm, Saturday and Sunday from 10am-6pm.
Please also know there are certain types of events that we do not consider for solicitations:
Who is allowed to solicit at a Schnucks store?
- Requests for monetary sponsorship
- Requests supporting political events, golf tournaments, galas, celebration /appreciation /recognition events, seminars, conferences, workshops, or reunions
- Fundraisers or benefits for individuals/families and/or events in memory of individuals/families (We can, however, support qualified 501(c)(3) agencies that may be working to provide assistance to those individuals/families.)
- Informational Tables or Participant/Volunteer Sign-up Tables
- Third-party fundraisers
There are several requirements that must be met in order for your organization to be considered for a charitable solicitation event at a Schnucks store. Among them:
How does my 501(c)(3) apply to solicit?
All solicitation requests must be submitted online, and your online application must be received at least 90 days in advance of your requested event date.
- Your organization must be an IRS-designated 501(c)(3) nonprofit. You will be required to attach your organization's 501(c)(3) IRS Determination letter to your request. (Here is a sample 501(c)(3) letter.) You will also be required to include your nonprofit organization's Employer Identification Number. Applications that do not include the IRS Determination letter and the Employer Identification Number will be auto-declined.
- Your organization must not have solicited at a Schnucks store more than three times in the previous 12 months.
- You must agree not to use any donated items or funds for political contributions.
- Your application must be received at least 90 days in advance of your requested event date.
- If approved to solicit, your organization must be willing to provide proof of liability insurance in the form of a Certificate of Insurance naming Schnuck Markets, Inc. as an additional insured party.
- Please read the complete Schnucks Charitable Solicitation Policy to learn more about the requirements, permitted hours, and conduct guidelines to ensure that your organization is eligible and you are willing to abide by our policy.
- Make sure you have your 501(c)(3) letter available. You will need to submit it during the application process.
- Make sure you have a valid email address. You will need one during the application process.
- Follow the steps below:
- If this is your first time applying for a Schnucks solicitation event: On the top left of this page, click 'Register,' then follow the steps to create an account. After registering, you will receive an email with a link that will allow you to log in for the first time. This email will come from firstname.lastname@example.org. Please add this email to your safe recipient list. If you don't see the email in your inbox, be sure to check your spam folder.
- If you have previously applied for a Schnucks solicitation event: Click the 'Login' button at the top right corner of this page, enter your existing username and password, and complete the online application.
Who can I contact with questions?
If you need technical support (such as help with logging into the site, resetting your password, or other technical issues), click the orange button on the bottom-right corner of your screen that says "Support."
For other questions related to the application or the solicitation policy, contact the Schnucks Community Engagement team by email at email@example.com or by phone at 314-994-4438.